To enroll in this course and access course content, click the blue "Enroll me" button to the right and log into your account. After logging in, click "Enroll me" again on the following pages to complete the enrollment process.
Introduction to Hazardous Waste provides tribal environmental professionals with an introduction to identifying and managing hazardous waste that the tribe and facilities on tribal land generate. Additionally, this course will provide an overview of the three classes of generators for tribes to determine how the hazardous waste must be managed and includes a module specific to household hazardous waste. The development of this course was a collaborative effort between the US Environmental Protection Agency Region 7, Gila River Indian Community, the Alaska Forum, Green Star, NRC Alaska, Alaska Community Action on Toxics, and the Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals. This online course is equivalent to 1.5 continuing education units (CEUs) and requires approximately fifteen hours of total learning time. CEUs can be earned by completing the following course modules:
- Identifying the Waste
- Managing Hazardous Waste
- Managing Household Hazardous Waste
After completing this online course, participants will be able to:
- Locate resources for determining which wastes are regulated as solid waste, hazardous waste, and excluded.
- Identify EPA and state regulations for managing the type of waste identified, including alternative management standards for special wastes.
- Explain hazardous waste generator rules.
- Understand the need for determining proper handling, storage, and shipment for hazardous waste generated on tribal land.
- Inform their community about the risks associated with household hazardous waste.
- Initiate best management practices for collecting, storing, and shipping household hazardous waste.
- Locate resources for US Department of Transportation hazardous waste requirements.
Liz Blackburn, EPA Region 7 Air and Waste Management Division
Rudy Mix, Waste Program Manager, Gila River Indian Community Department of Environmental Quality
Dale Anderson, Environmental Quality Specialist, Gila River Indian Community Department of Environmental Quality
Paul Nielsen, Director of Sales & Marketing, NRC Alaska, LLC
Samarys Seguinot-Medina, DrPHc, MSEM, Environmental Health Program Director, Alaska Community Action on Toxics
- Click Here For Online Course Navigation Instructions
- Receiving Your Certificate of Completion
- Q/A and Comments: Introduction to Hazardous Waste
- Discussion: Introduce Yourself
- 1.1 Presentation Slides for Video: RCRA Overview
- 1.1 Video: RCRA Overview
- 1.2 Presentation Slides for Video: Introduction to Identifying Wastes
- 1.2 Video: Introduction to Identifying Wastes
- RCRA Orientation Manual
- Additional Resources
- 1.3 Presentation Slides for Video: Examples of Hazardous Waste
- 1.3 Video: Examples of Hazardous Waste
- *Optional Video: GRIC DEQ Waste Program Overview
- *Optional Video: GRIC - Welcome to DEQ
- 1.4 Presentation Slides for Video: What is Universal Waste
- 1.4 Video: What is Universal Waste?
- 1.5 Activity: Identify Universal Waste in States Adjacent to Your Reservation
- 1.6 Quiz: Hazardous Waste Identification
- 2.1 Handout for Video: Introduction to Identification, Storage, and Tracking of Hazardous Waste (modified by EPA with more detail)
- 2.1 Video: Introduction to Identification, Storage, and Tracking of Hazardous Waste
- GRIC Inspection Guidance, Checklists, and Forms
- RCRA Inspection Checklists
- Inspector Wiki & eLearning Inspector Training (only available to federal, tribal, state, and local inspectors)
- *Optional Webinar: Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Final Rule
- 2.2 Presentation Slides for Video: Top 10 Hazardous Waste Violations
- 2.2 Video: Top 10 Hazardous Waste Violations
- 2.3 Presentation Slides for Video: GRIC Waste Management Ordinance
- 2.3 Video: GRIC Waste Management Ordinance
- 2.4 Discussion: Sharing Your Concerns and Experiences
- 2.5 Presentation Slides for Video: Introduction to Emergency Response - Lessons Learned
- 2.5 Video: Introduction to Emergency Response - Lessons Learned from an Environmental Agency Perspective
- 2.6 Quiz: Managing Hazardous Wastes
- 3.1 Presentation Slides for Video: What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- 3.1 Video: What is Household Hazardous Waste?
- Additional Resources
- 3.2 Presentation Slides for Video: Examples of Household Hazardous Waste
- 3.2 Video: Examples of Household Hazardous Waste
- *Optional Video: Introduction to Hazardous Waste Packaging in Alaska
- *Optional Video: Household Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal Methods by NRC Alaska
- 3.3 Presentation Slides for Video: Solid Waste Health Risks - Toxics in Household Products
- 3.3 Video: Solid Waste Health Risks - Toxics in Household Products
- ACAT Resources
- 3.4 Discussion: Sharing an Outreach Method
- 3.5 Quiz: Household Hazardous Waste
- Reflective Writing: Introduction to Hazardous Waste
- Introduction to Hazardous Waste Final Exam
- Course Evaluation: Introduction to Hazardous Waste
- Certificate of Completion