Introduction to Hazardous Waste provides tribal environmental professionals with an introduction to identifying and managing hazardous waste that the tribe and facilities on tribal land generate. Additionally, this course will provide an overview of the three classes of generators for tribes to determine how the hazardous waste must be managed and includes a module specific to household hazardous waste. The development of this course was a collaborative effort between the US Environmental Protection Agency Region 7, Gila River Indian Community, the Alaska Forum, Green Star, NRC Alaska, Alaska Community Action on Toxics, and the Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals. This online course is equivalent to 1.5 continuing education units (CEUs) and requires approximately fifteen hours of total learning time. CEUs can be earned by completing the following course modules:
- Identifying the Waste
- Managing Hazardous Waste
- Managing Household Hazardous Wast
After completing this online course, participants will be able to:
- Locate resources for determining which wastes are regulated as solid waste, hazardous waste, and excluded.
- Identify EPA and state regulations for managing the type of waste identified, including alternative management standards for special wastes.
- Explain hazardous waste generator rules.
- Understand the need for determining proper handling, storage, and shipment for hazardous waste generated on tribal land.
- Inform their community about the risks associated with household hazardous waste.
- Initiate best management practices for collecting, storing, and shipping household hazardous waste.
- Locate resources for US Department of Transportation hazardous waste requirements.
Liz Blackburn, EPA Region 7 Air and Waste Management Division
Rudy Mix, Waste Program Manager, Gila River Indian Community Department of Environmental Quality
Dale Anderson, Environmental Quality Specialist, Gila River Indian Community Department of Environmental Quality
Paul Nielsen, Director of Sales & Marketing, NRC Alaska, LLC
Samarys Seguinot-Medina, DrPHc, MSEM,Â Environmental Health Program Director, Alaska Community Action on Toxics
Introduction to Hazardous Waste
- Product Code:SW201
- Excluding Tax: $0.00