Introduction to Rural Alaska Landfill Administrator (RALA) provides tribal environmental professionals in rural Alaska an introduction to the landfill management and operations and resources for additional training. The development of this short course was a collaborative effort between the Alaska Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA AK Chapter), Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC), the Alaska Forum, Inc., Green Star, and the Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals. The presentations in this online training are part of an 8-hour RALA training and were originally recorded during the Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management in 2016. In-depth courses for Rural Alaska Landfill Administrator training are offered annually at the Alaska Tribal Conference on Environmental Management by SWANA AK Chapter instructors. This online course is equivalent to 0.5 continuing education units (CEUs) and requires approximately five hours of total learning time. CEUs can be earned by completing the following course modules:
- Introduction to Landfills, Administration, and Operations in Rural Alaska
- Solid Waste Administration, Planning, and Budgeting Basics
- Minimizing Waste in Your Landfill
After completing this online course, participants in rural Alaska will be able to:
- Identify the classification and type of landfill in their community.
- Recognize the top ten landfill issues.
- Define landfill administrator’s and operator’s roles.
- Identify basic administrative, planning, and budgeting needs for managing landfills.
- Identify strategies for minimizing waste that fits their communities’ needs.
- Identify best management practice for burning waste.
Ted Jacobson, Solid Waste Tribal Liaison, EPA/SEE Program/Alaska
Doug Huntman, Green Star Program Director, Alaska Forum
Stephen Price, Rural Landfill Specialist, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation Solid Waste Program
Introduction to Rural Alaska Landfill Administration
- Product Code:SW120
- Excluding Tax: $0.00