This online Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) 8-hour course provides refresher training to employees that work for federally-recognized tribes who are exposed or potentially exposed to hazardous substances or health hazards. This HAZWOPER 8-hour refresher meets OSHA’s mandated refresher requirements under 29 CFR 1910.120 for participants who have successfully completed 24-hour or 40-hour HAZWOPER training and have maintained 8-hour refresher training each year since their initial training. It is crucial that employees receive proper prior off-site training and on-the-job training specific to their job duties. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure workers remain competent in activities specific to their job functions and determine if this training meets the needs for annual refresher training. Additionally, participants require site-specific hands on training, this responsibility remains with employers. The employer may determine that hands-on training is unnecessary for a refresher course, however, must assess the employees’ skill level, and ensure that workers remain competent in their current and any newly assigned duties. Additionally, employees are strongly encouraged to attend an in-person 8-hour HAZWOPER refresher course when possible. See OSHA’s HAZWOPER Training Requirements for more information.
This course has been developed in collaboration with highly qualified subject matter experts and an experienced development and delivery team. Online course facilitators are available to answer questions through online discussion forums. This online course is equivalent to 0.8 continuing education units (CEUs) and requires a minimum of eight hours of total learning time. CEUs and a certificate of completion are earned by passing the final exam with a 70% or better and completing the following course modules:
- HAZWOPER Regulations, Training Requirements, and Medical Surveillance
- Identifying Site-Specific Hazards
- Health and Safety Plans, Personal Protective Equipment, and Site Control
- Emergency Response
After completing this online refresher course, participants who have successfully completed initial training and maintained annual refresher trainings will be reacquainted with how to:
- Locate current OSHA HAZWOPER and Hazard Communication regulations and requirements.
- Determine HAZWOPER training and medical surveillance needed for their job duties.
- Identify incidents that may be relevant to their job duties.
- Locate resources to identify hazardous material markings, labeling, and placards and the hazards they present.
- Use the Emergency Response Guidebook to help manage hazardous material incidents.
- Use the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards to determine toxicological information and human exposure limits to hazardous substances.
Explain the importance of the Health and Safety Plan.
- Identify the types and methods of air monitoring.
- Identify the four levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) and locate resources for choosing the correct PPE.
- Demonstrate an understanding of site characterization and emergency response actions.
- Explain the importance of implementing an Incident Command System (ICS).
- Recognize characteristics of a work zone and site security measures (work practices to minimize risk from site hazards; proper use of engineering controls and equipment on site).
- Locate resources to identify the principles and levels of decontamination needed specific to their work site.
- Identify principles and levels of decontamination.
It is the employer's responsibility to ensure workers remain competent in activities specific to their job functions.
2022 HAZWOPER 8-Hour Refresher
- Product Code:ER201-2022
- Excluding Tax: $0.00